June 14, 2009

Blessings

Blessings come to those who least expect them. They come in many different forms and through many different people. Everyday we wake up should be counted as a blessing but many times the first thought is "what all do I have to get done today?" If we would take a moment when we wake up to remember that the fact we woke up is the first blessing we get everyday, I feel the day would turn out a lot different.

The outlook I have had on life in the past and the one I have now are two very different things. In the past I have seen only what I wanted to see and felt things should revolve around me and my needs; I knew that God was there but didn't realize He wanted to use me for something greater than myself. I must admit that some days I am still like that but I am learning and improving each day. I am a selfish person but I am on the path to recovery!

Today was youth Sunday at church and what they spoke about really hit home with me. The passages of scripture used were 2 Timothy 3:1-5 and Philippians 2:1-4.

2 Timothy 3:1-5 says, "But know this, that in the last days perilous times will come: For men will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy, unloving, unforgiving, slanderers, without self-control, brutal, despisers of good, traitors, headstrong, haughty, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God, having a form of godliness but denying its power. And from such people turn away!"

Sadly enough, if we step back and look at the world today, this is what we see. People do not put God first because "life" gets in the way. Kids have extracurricular activities that take them away from the church and parents allow this to happen; parents work all hours of the day and night and feel that is the most important thing for their families. But, though we have to have money to live, the Bible tells us if we do our part for God he will take care of our needs. As Christians we need to step back and let God take control; let Him point us in the direction we are to go. While we enjoy the good things in life we must remember that everything comes from God. The fact that we have a job, a home, friends, family...all of this is a blessing and a gift from God!

Philippians 2:1-4 says
, "Therefore if there is any consolation in Christ, if any comfort of love, if any fellowship of the Spirit, if any affection and mercy, fulfill my joy by being like-minded, having the same love, being of one accord, of one mind. Let nothing be done through selfish ambition or conceit, but in lowliness of mind let each esteem others better than himself. Let each of you look out not only for his own interests but also for the interests of others."

This is the one that really hit home for me. A lot of times what we do, even though it be for someone else, is because we are going to get something out of it. As Christian we should want to help each other and uphold each other without wondering what we get; what we should get is the satisfaction of knowing we spread God's love, not necessarily through words, but through action. "Actions speak louder than words" is definitely something Christians, and everyone, should think about in their daily walk.

My challenge to myself this week is to help others without expecting anything but also hoping for a blessing from it. Blessings come from unusual places sometimes if we just open our eyes, minds, and hearts to receive them!

No comments: