January 13, 2010

Exciting news for Blessings Booktique


Blessings Booktique has been my baby since April 2009. We purchased an existing Christian bookstore and decided to, at first, keep the original name. As time went on, we decided we needed to get away from that name and make this store our own. So, Blessings Booktique was born and now we are operating solely under that name!

We got off to a slow start with the business. Times are hard so it wasn't the best time to begin, but we felt like God had His hand in the decision for us to purchase this business. So, we listened to God and decided to step out on faith. We did ok through the summer and then the fall - especially November - began bringing us new things. November was our official name change so we hosted an open house to celebrate our new name and look. This also being the beginning of the Christmas shopping season, we thought it would be a great time to get our name out there.

Christmas went well - since it was our first we were not sure what to expect. We did well with our sales and met some great people along the way. Then, January hit us. So far, we are on a day by day basis. Some days we have only two or three customers - most days we have none. It is a hard thing for us to look at but we know God will supply what we need.

I am a firm believer in prayer and have been praying hard for God to send me the resources I need to keep this store alive. Monday afternoon a resource walked through my door - I met Rebecca Hunley. Rebecca is a teacher at Jefferson County High School and is now and author of her very first book - Imperfect People, Imperfect Marriage, Perfect Redeemer.

When she came in I wasn't quite sure what to expect - she was carrying and envelope and book so I was sure she was going to try to sell me something...I was right and she was just the person I had been praying for. We talked for a few minutes and she discussed her book and the reason behind it with me. She was just published on January 5, 2010 and is looking to begin releasing the book to stores. She said it was only available on Amazon and she wondered if we would be interested in carrying it in our store - I, of course, said yes!

While she was discussing her book with me, I was thinking about something else that could benefit us both. Monika, a great friend and co-worker, and I had been talking about a book signing the week before. We wanted to get a relatively new release so people would be interested in meeting the author and purchasing the book. So far, we had come to a wall and we were not sure where to go next. I had been praying for God to help me with this decision and, in His perfect way, he did! Before I could even ask her if she was interested, she asked me...and I said ABSOLUTELY!

Today, I got my first stock of books for the store and posters to help spread the word about the book signing. I am excited to say that on Saturday, February 6 from 10-2 Rebecca, and her husband DJ, will be at the store - Blessings Booktique - to sign her book and to fellowship with those who come out to support her. It is always exciting to help promote a new author and even more exciting that she is local. I look forward to seeing you here to help make her new book a success!


No comments: