January 29, 2010

My growing little man!


Last Tuesday, January 19, my little man celebrated his 4th birthday! It seems unreal to me that he is growing so fast. Everyday he gets a little smarter and everyday he gets a little more independent. I know that he is nowhere near the stage of not needing me, but it still seems like he is growing too fast for me to keep up!

The past few weeks have been a struggle with him because he is so strong willed - he gets it honest from both sides of the family. I find myself at a loss some days because his attitude is so bad and he simply will not listen. The day it all came down was last Monday - the day before his birthday. I received a call from daycare saying he was acting out and would not listen to anyone. I spoke with him on the phone and told him that he needed to put his listening ears on and be a big boy the remainder of the day; he said he would and I told them if they needed me again to call - hoping of course they wouldn't. Well, a couple of hours went by and, sure enough, they are calling me back :/ He is still not listening and it is now time for nap but he will not nap and he will not leave his friends alone! I promptly went to the daycare to pick him up.

That was the turning point for me - I knew something had to be done, and I couldn't do it myself. I called the doctor and made an appointment for the following week. Monday was the day; we saw Dr. Ramsey and got some very good insight on what is going on.

Now, if you know anything about me, you know I am off the wall. Most people think that is just who I am but truly it is because I am ADHD - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder. My suspicion about Lawson was pretty much confirmed at this appointment but we are taking further steps to confirm this - he truly is his Mother's child.

The doctor kept an eye on him as we were talking to see how he acted. The entire time I was speaking with the doctor, Lawson was in motion - he never stopped! I told the Dr. Ramsey that is a constant with him; from the time he wakes up to the time he goes to bed, he is in motion - he physically cannot sit still.

Dr. Ramsey feels our best option at this point is to see a behavior doctor at Cherokee; this decision comes with no interference from me. I feel it is in everyone's best interest, especially Lawson, if we begin the process of helping his behavior now as opposed to later. I expressed my opinion about a couple of things but Dr. Ramsey told me to keep an open mind and things will work out - I trust him.

He told me pick up a book - Drive to Distraction - and read it. It is about living and dealing with ADD/ADHD. He thinks the book will give me a better insight to Lawson and myself. I have struggles everyday and know that this will be as much work for me as for him.

Please keep us in your prayers as we begin this journey; it will truly be a journey for both of us. I don't feel that Charlie is fully on board yet, but I hope he will come around as time goes on. I just want what is best for our boy.

No comments: