February 2, 2010

Learning about myself

When I took Lawson to Dr. Ramsey last week, he gave me the name of a book I should pick up. He said it would help me understand more about ADD/ADHD and how to help Lawson. Charlie picked the book up for me Friday and I started reading it immediately. I wasn't sure how I would feel about it but I want to do anything I can to help my little man. Boy was this a great start!

The book is Driven to Distraction by Dr. Edward Hallowell and Dr. John Ratey. Because it is so crazy around our house I have only made it the second chapter of this book. So far I have learned a lot about myself more than anything. This book is explaining to me what ADD/ADHD is and how it affects people in different ways. Because I was diagnosed with ADHD in the 80's - when there was little known about it - I do not have a true understanding of all it entails. I am learning more with each paragraph of this book.

Being that this book was written by two doctors who have ADD themselves, it is also an inspiration to me. I do not finish things I start...period. I have always been this way and I hate that about myself. I have tried to make it better but I just can't. If something has to be done I have to do it in the moment or it will not get finished. This tends to be very frustrating for me and the people around me. Even though the people who know me best know I have ADHD, they do not understand exactly what that means - apparently I do not completely understand either. 

ADD is a lot of things - too many for me to begin naming - but it is not a disease. 

Some signs of ADD are:
  • Easily Distractable
  • Low tolerance for frustration
  • Low tolerance for bordem
  • Impulsiveness
  • Forgetfulness
  • Restlestness
While these are not any where near the only signs, they are the most common. But, sometimes it is not ADD, so don't automatically assume because someone has a symptom it is ADD. Just like any disorder, there are tests that have to be done in order to say someone has ADD/ADHD.

I know as I progress in this book I will only learn more about myself and with that knowledge I am excited to continue reading. At this stage in my life I wasn't sure if the "issues" I have can be helped, but I now believe they can. As I go on this journey with Lawson, my plan is to also help myself. In order to properly help him cope with whatever comes his way, I have to learn to cope with myself as well.

I ask for your prayers as I continue to learn about ADD/ADHD. I know God will be with me every step of the way and He will lead me through whatever life will throw at me.



No comments: