August 18, 2010

Knitting...my new addiction!

June 20, 2010: My 28th birthday. Why is this significant you ask? Well, on this day, I decided I needed a new hobby. I love hand knitted items, especially for babies, so I decided knitting it would be! I had my husband take me Wal-Mart where I purchased the "I Taught Myself Knitting" kit and 2 skeins of yarn. Then, I went home and started learning!

Now, my husband, being the skeptic that he is (because he knows me), swore I would put it down within a week and never pick it back up. Well, even if I had wanted to do that, I couldn't now because he would then be right...not gonna let that happen!

But, much to his surprise (and mine), I love it! It has now been roughly 6 weeks since I decided this would be my new hobby and I am going full force. I was strictly needle knitting to begin with until a friend suggested I try looms. She said it is much easier to use and doesn't make your hands hurt as bad. So, I went out to Hobby Lobby and bought the Knifty Knitter round loom set...well, now I am completely addicted!

I knit all the time now. At home, at work (I run my own shop), in the car (when hubby is driving, of course), and anywhere I can find the time. If I go a full day without knitting, I feel like I haven't done anything that day! I still needle knit some but mostly I use the loom. I now have the Flower Loom and I am enjoying making embellishments for my baby hats. But, I plan to get the long looms in a couple of weeks and then I can make so much more!

My problem lately is finding patterns for the round looms. I can find thousands of patterns for needle knitting, but I really want to use my larger looms. So far I have only used the small blue loom to make the baby hats. If I don't learn to make something else soon, I am going to have to build a room onto the house just for the baby hats, ha! If you know of any good loom pattern sites, please pass them along to me :)

Here are three of the hats I have made...I have plenty more! My Etsy Shop is open and I will add items soon; be sure to visit - Hip Knits.

Baby Boy - Variegated Brown/Green/Blue/Tan
Baby Girl - Variegated Pink/Brown/Beige

Preemie Girl - Variegated Pink/Black/White






These two are my first order! They are for a friend who is just beginning her photography business :)
Please visit her site: Shatera Marshall Photography
Baby Girl - Pink
Baby Boy - Blue

No comments: